Add/Edit Address, E-mail, Phone Number

It is important that we have your correct contact information. Please review and update your personal information, such as your mailing address, email, preferred name and phone numbers. How to View/Add/Edit Personal Information in CUNYfirst

Changes to your permanent address must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office:  Change of Permanent Address Form

Add/Edit Name, Birthdate, or Social Security No.

Please fill out and submit Personal Data Change Form

25 West 43rd Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10036

New York State Residency

This website contains excerpts from the University Tuition & Fee Manual’s policy on Residency (chapter IV). The policy is available for review here.

In general, to qualify for the resident tuition rate at a senior college based on residence in the State of New York, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a qualifying immigration status; AND
  • Have continuously maintained his/her principal place of abode in the State of New York for a period of at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes; AND
  • Have a bona fide intention of living in New York permanently.

Click here for a comprehensive listing of NYS resident-eligible categories.

To apply for in-state, submit the City University Residency Form to the Registrar’s Office.

The deadline to submit the CUNY Residency Form and all required documentation is on or before the last day of finals in the semester for which resident tuition is being sought. The college will not make residency determinations retroactively and will not issue refunds to students even in cases where they would have qualified for the resident rate if they had submitted timely documentation.*

*Students requesting resident status for tuition purposes are expected to be aware of the requirements necessary to qualify for State residency set forth in Part I of this Residency section of the Tuition and Fee Manual. Students are also expected to be aware of the resident and non-resident tuition rates, which are available on the CUNY web site, among other places, so that they know if they are being charged the correct tuition rate and quickly address any residency issues.

Q: I am 19 years old, went to high school in Pennsylvania, and lived in Pennsylvania all of my life with my parents. My parents still live in Pennsylvania but I moved to New York City after being accepted to the School of Labor and Urban Studies. How can I get in-state tuition after living in New York for 12 months?
A: To be designated a New York State resident, a student whose parent(s) or legal guardian(s) reside out-of-state must present evidence that he or she meets CUNY’s residency requirements set forth in above, AND EITHER

(a) that he/she is financially independent from his/her parents. Factors taken into account in determining financial independence include, but are not limited to: whether the student is taken as a dependent on parents’ federal and state income tax returns; whether the student is employed and the amount the student earned relative to expenses; the extent of financial support received by the student from parents or guardians; and other sources of student income OR

(b) that he/she, despite being dependent on out-of-state parents(s) or legal guardian(s), has changed his/her domicile, i.e. the place that he/she has a bona fide intention of living permanently, to New York State. Such a showing must be made by clear and convincing evidence. Students who claim that New York is their domicile are expected to have a New York State driver’s license or New York State issued identification card dated a minimum of twelve (12) months prior to the start of the semester.

In addition, a student is expected to submit documentary evidence indicating he/she has changed his/her domicile to New York, such as the following:

1. evidence that the student has filed a New York State resident income tax return for the previous calendar year;
2. evidence that the student resided in the State of New York for a significant period of time for other-than-educational purposes prior to attending CUNY;
3. evidence that the student resides in property owned by the student or his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s) in the State of New York;
4. evidence showing that the student uses his/her New York address as his/her sole address of record for all purposes including on health and auto insurance records, bank accounts, tax records, loan and scholarship records, school records, military records, leases and similar kinds of documents.

Q: I am 25 years old. Do I need to provide documents that I am financially independent from my parents?
A: No. Students aged 24 and older are considered independent and are not deemed to have the same state of residency as their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). But students aged 24 and older still must qualify for in-state tuition by being a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a qualifying immigration status, and have continuously maintained his/her principal place of abode in the State of New York for a period of at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes, and having a bona fide intention of living in New York permanently.

Q: I moved to New Jersey with my father but I went to high school in Manhattan because my mother lives there. Am I eligible for in-state tuition?
A: Yes, provided that you are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a qualifying immigration status (or undocumented or out-of-status), and meet one of the following conditions:

• The student has attended an approved New York high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend CUNY within five years of receiving the New York State diploma.
• The student has attended an approved New York State Program for General Equivalency Diploma (GED) exam preparation, received the GED issued within New York State, and applied to attend CUNY within five years of receiving the New York State GED.
• The student was enrolled in CUNY in the Fall 2001 semester or quarter and was authorized by CUNY to pay tuition at the resident rate. Thus, a student who attended CUNY in the Fall 2001 semester and paid the resident rate does not have to satisfy either condition 1 or 2 above.

A student meeting one of the three conditions set forth above does not need to prove residence in New York State in accordance with the section above. The student can be a resident of another state, such as Connecticut or New Jersey, or can be an undocumented or out-of-status student. However, students who meet one of these criteria but do not have lawful immigration status must file an affidavit (i.e., a notarized statement) with CUNY stating that they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

Q: I am an F-1 international student. I have been living in Brooklyn for 3 years. Am I eligible for in-state tuition?
A: No. Students in F-1 status do not qualify for in-state tuition. F-1 is on a list of visa categories for non-immigrant aliens who do not qualify for the in-state or resident rate of tuition.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords rights to students with respect to their education records. 

1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records.

Students should submit to the Registrar, the Dean of Students, or other appropriate college official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

All requests shall be granted or denied in writing within 45 days of receipt. If the request is granted, the student is provided with copies of the requested records or notified of the time and place where the records may be inspected. Students will be charged a fee for copies of requested records. If the request is denied or not responded to within 45 days, the student may appeal to the College’s FERPA Appeals Officer.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student beliefs are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the Registrar, the Dean of Students, or other appropriate college official, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing before the College’s FERPA Appeals Officer regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

Disclosure without consent is permitted to college officials with legitimate educational interests. A college official has legitimate educational interests. A college official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research role, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the University has contracted; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another college official in performing his or her tasks. A college official has a legitimate educational interest if access is reasonably necessary in order to perform his/her instructional, research, administrative or other duties and responsibilities. Upon request, the college discloses education records without consent to officials of another college or school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

4. You may appeal the alleged denial of FERPA rights to:

General Counsel and Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs
The City University of New York
535 East 80th Street
New York, NY 10021

5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Please note that “directory information” can be given out without the student’s written consent. The City University of New York defines directory information to include such information as a student’s name, attendance dates, home and e-mail address, telephone number, date and place of birth, photograph, status (e.g., full/part-time, undergraduate/graduate), degree program, credits completed, major, student activities and sports, previous school attended, and degrees, honors and awards received. This information may be released to anyone, unless restricted by written authorization of the student. Contact the Registrar’s Office at your campus if you wish to restrict this information

More information about FERPA, visit the Department of Education website.