The Murphy Institute for Worker Education strives to support adults in reaching their career and academic goals through higher education. Our CUNY Days: Adult College Access Program brings CUNY-wide pre-admissions advisement, application assistance, and other college-access services directly to adults across NYC. All services will be held virtually until further notice.
For Adults Interested in CUNY
Thinking about college? Interested in CUNY but feeling unsure about where to go, what to study, or how to apply?
Join Worker Education’s Enrollment Specialists for a FREE 1-to-1 CUNY pre-admission advisement session to discuss topics such as:
- Academic requirements for specific jobs
- Choosing a CUNY campus and major
- Applying to and financing college (undergraduate and graduate)
- Continuing Education (non-credit) and certificate options
- Long-term career planning
- Fastest growing industries in NYC
Each advisement session is catered to your specific goals and needs. To view available appointments and schedule your session, visit CUNYDays.eventbrite.com.
For Nonprofits, Unions, and Community Leaders
Do you work in a nonprofit or union and want to provide college access services to your participants? Let’s collaborate!
CUNY Days: Adult College Access Program brings CUNY pre-admissions services directly to adults within their communities; past locations include union headquarters, public officials’ offices, and community centers. Offerings include:
- CUNY Information Sessions for the Community – Sessions providing the community at large with a taste of college, using a model that incorporates student speakers and an informative presentation on SLU’s and CUNY’s offerings, application requirements, and more.
- Workshops for the Community – Workshops focused on the process of returning to college, including “Applying to CUNY,” “Transferring to CUNY,” and “Financing Your CUNY Education.”
- Careers via CUNY – A specific set of workshops focused on academic pathways at CUNY that lead to careers in growing industries across NYC, including Urban & Labor Studies, Education, Healthcare, Business, and more.
- CUNY Pre-Admissions Advisement – One-to-one appointments focused on various academic pathways at CUNY that lead toward career goals. Sessions may include application assistance, exploration of labor-market data, guidance on accessing union tuition benefits and financial aid, and more.
- Information Sessions for Staff – Sessions providing staff in CBOs, unions, and elected officials’ offices with information about CUNY in an effort to better support their community outreach and college advisement endeavors, and/or for their own educational pursuits.
All services are contextualized to meet participants’ specific needs. Worker Education at SLU also provides flexible scheduling options and can travel to most locations across the city.
Worker Education at the CUNY School of Labor & Urban Studies has an obligation to empower underrepresented New Yorkers through education and to encourage them to become active participants in local government and in their communities.
We envision a New York City in which our leaders and elected officials look like the diverse people they serve, and we believe that CUNY Days is an essential first step toward achieving this vision.