Public Programs @CUNYSLU
The CUNY School of Labor & Urban Studies provides a unique venue for labor and community-based leaders and activists to engage in intellectually rigorous debate and discussion on the most pressing issues of our time.
Our commitment to support the examination and resolution of the myriad struggles confronting poor and working-class communities lays the foundation for the Institute’s ambitious public programming, which attracts thousands of people annually and has featured:
- Prominent SLU faculty, including John Mollenkopf, Ruth Milkman, Deepak Bhargava, and Heather McGhee.
- Nationally renowned scholars, including Cornel West, Zephyr Teachout, Rodolfo de la Garza, Naomi Klein, Adolph Reed, Patricia Williams, and Marie Gottschalk;
- National and International Elected Officials, including Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, Pramila Jayapal, Nydia Velazquez, Former British Member of Parliament and Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, and former Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff;
- Civil and human rights leaders, including Reverend Al Sharpton, Benjamin Jealous, and Rigoberta Menchu;
- Leaders of labor unions and federations from the U.S., Canada, France, Guatemala, India, Mexico, South Africa and the United Kingdom.