There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance.

The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • Grants – Federal and State – Grants do not have to be repaid.
  • Loans – Loans do need to be repaid.
  • Scholarships – Scholarships are usually based on academic merit and do not need to be paid back.

Federal Financial Aid Requirements

  • You must be enrolled for at least 6 credits each semester.
  • You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York (CUNY).
  • Full-time undergraduate students should complete a Baccalaureate degree within six (6) years.
  • To remain eligible for financial aid undergraduate students must achieve a GPA (grade point average) of:
    • 1.50 if 1-12.9 credits have been attempted
    • 1.75 if 13.0-24.9 credits have been attempted
    • 2.00 if 25 or more credits have been attempted
  • You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.

How to Apply

To receive both Federal and State financial aid as a CUNY student, you must complete two forms: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and, if you or your parents are New York State residents and you are a full time student (12 credits or more), the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application.

Both forms can be completed online (FAFSA). If you have questions while completing the FAFSA form you may contact the The Office of Fellowships and Financial Aid at 212.817.7460. You will be prompted to complete the TAP application after completing the online FAFSA (additional TAP information).

We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15.

The FAFSA Title IV Code The school code for TAP
004765 1422

When filling out your FAFSA, please note that CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies shares a Title IV code with the CUNY Graduate School and University Center and will appear as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.

For assistance you may contact:

The Office of Fellowships and Financial Aid
365 Fifth Avenue, Room 7201
New York, NY 10016
212-817-7460 or

Employer & Union Vouchers

Many employers and most unions have funds available to support worker education and skills upgrades. Talk with your employer or union representative. We can provide course registration documentation for you.

We can assist with completing the necessary forms.