Faculty Publications Summer 2022
- Smiley, CalvinJohn, Anthony Browne & Juan Battle. 2022. Latinx Parents, Latinx Students, and In-School Suspension: A Quantitative Study of School Discipline, Journal of Latinos and Education,
- Deepak Bhargava and Rich Stolz, “The Statue of Liberty Plan: A Progressive Vision for Migration in the Age of Climate Change,” Roosevelt Institute, August 24, 2022
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal and Deepak Bhargava, “It’s Past Time to End Title 42,”, CNN.com
Marianne (LeNabat) Garneau
- Marianne (LeNabat) Garneau, “’It’s Easier to Beg for Forgiveness: NJ Transit Workers Sick Out for Juneteenth,” Organizing Work, June 18, 2022
- Daniel Katz, “A Walk Through the Rich History of Struggle in Manhattan’s Chinatown,” Jacobin, Aug 5, 2022
- Stephanie Luce, “Another World (of Work) Is Possible,” in The Green New Deal and the Future of Work, edited by Craig Calhoun and Benjamin Y. Fong, Columbia University Press, 2022
- Stephanie Luce interviews Ilana Berger, “‘Strong and Loving, Relentless and Fierce’: NY Home Care Workers Win Big,” Convergence, August 4, 2022
- Heather McGhee, podcast series, “The Sum of Us,” Spotify. (And an article about the new podcast in Vanity Fair).
- Heather McGhee, “The Interview,” The Boston Foundation
- Ruth Milkman, “The Amazon Labor Union’s Historic Breakthrough,” Dissent (Summer 2022), pp. 97-101.
- Ruth Milkman, “Falling Behind” – The SUN interview (Staci Kleinmaier, interviewer) June, pp. 4-12.
- Ruth Milkman, “Grocery Unions under the Gun in New York City and the Nation,” New Labor Forum 31(2), pp. 17-26.
- Erica Smiley and Sarita Gupta, “Collective Bargaining for the Workplace and Democracy,” YES! Magazine, July 4, 2022
- Samir Sonti, “Who Pays for Inflation,” New Labor Forum:
- Samir Sonti, “What You Need to Know About Inflation,” Jacobin:
- Samir Sonti, “Inflation and Your Next Contract, Labor Notes:
- Samir Sonti, Interview on organizing with Sam Gindin (video):
- Samir Sonti, Inflation discussion, Jacobin (video interview):
- Joel Suarez, “Office Space: The Political Economy of Remote Work,” New Labor Forum, Aug 2022.
- Marquis Jenkins, James Rodriguez, and Aixa Torres, “NYCHA’s “Public Housing Preservation Trust” Is A Farce of Resident Engagement,” City Limits, June 22, 2022
- Wolf, Andrew. 2022. “COVID and the Risky Immigrant Workplace: How Declining Employment Standards Socialized Risk and Made the COVID-19 Pandemic Worse.” Labor Studies Journal. 47(3): 286-319. DOI: 0160449X221110276.
- Jurasaite-O’Keefe, A., & Zak, Anna (2022). Informal Learning in Study Abroad Programs: A Grounded Theory Construction. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching. (33, 1) 5-29.
- Zak, Anna, & Angel, C. (2022). Integrating the socially homeless through the online teaching and learning environments via the implementation of critical eService-learning. Nemeth, E. A. & Patterson, A. N. Eds. Pursuit of Liberation: Critical Service-Learning as Capacity Building for Historicized, Humanizing, and Embodied Action, 215-243. IAP. Pursuit of Liberation: Critical Service-Learning as Capacity Building for … – Google Books
- Alum Jack Suria-Linares, “Big Tent and Programmatic Unity Can Coexist in DSA,” Convergence, June 9, 2022. https://convergencemag.com/articles/big-tent-and-programmatic-unity-can-coexist-in-dsa/
- Alum Jonah Furman, “St. Louis Boeing Plant Workers to Strike,” Labor Notes, July 28, 2022, https://labornotes.org/2022/07/st-louis-boeing-plant-workers-strike
- Alum Jonah Furman, “UAW Delegates Head to Convention and Prepare for First Direct Elections, Labor Notes, July 19, 2022, https://labornotes.org/2022/07/uaw-delegates-head-convention-and-prepare-first-direct-elections
- Alum and former staff Sarah Hughes, “Yes, Abortion Rights are a Union Issue,” Labor Notes, https://labornotes.org/blogs/2022/07/yes-abortion-rights-are-union-issue and “https://labornotes.org/2022/07/what-can-unions-do-now-defend-abortion-rights
- SLU Student Rev. Edwin Robinson, interviewed by Stephanie Luce, “How Black Churches Can Change the World,” Convergence, August 23, 2022, https://convergencemag.com/articles/how-black-churches-can-change-the-world/
Faculty Publications Fall 2021
- Yanay, H., & Battle, J. 2021. Refugee Higher Education & Participatory Action Research Methods: Lessons Learned From the Field. Radical Teacher, 120, 50-60.
- Zeng, Z. H. Weston, E. R., & Battle, J. 2021. “Relationships between Sports, Physical Activity Participation, and Phys-Ed GPA: Results and Analyses from a National Sample of Asian American Students. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, Vol. 21(3), 1469 – 1478.
- Peterson, Robert, Nicole Lucas, Juan Battle. 2021. “Aint Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around: Black LGBT Sociopolitical Involvement.” Journal of Black Sexuality and Relationships, 7(2), 1-23.
- Gonzalez, L., Chapman, S., & Battle, J. 2020. Mathematics identity and achievement among Black students. School Science and Mathematics, 120, 456– 466.
- Smiley, Calvin John, Juan Battle & Shawnda Chapman. 2020. “Married or Divorced?: Outcomes on Black Student Educational Attainment.” The Journal of Negro Education. 89(1): 9-23.
- Weston, Eric, Howard Zeng, and Juan Battle. 2020. Physical activity and GPA: Results from a national sample of Black students, Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment.
- Battle, Juan & CalvinJohn Smiley. 2020. Familia y educación: a quantitative assessment of the impact of parental configuration on educational attainment for a national sample of Latinx students. Race Ethnicity and Education. 23(1): 21-38.
- Former Staff Ofronama Biu, Christopher Famighetti, and Darrick Hamilton (August 2021). Examining the differential impact of recessions and recovery across race and gender for working versus professional class workers. In 2021 ANNALS of The American Academy of Political Science, “What has happened to the American Working Class since the Great Recession? (2009-2019).
Joseph van der Naald
- Herbert, William A., and Joseph van der Naald. 2021. “Graduate Student Employee Unionization in the Second Gilded Age.” Pp. 221-46 in Revaluing Work(ers): Toward a Democratic and Sustainable Future, edited by T. Schulze-Cleven and T Vachon. Champaign, IL: Labor and Employment Relations Association.
Ruth Milkman and Stephanie Luce
- Ruth Milkman and Stephanie Luce, 2021. “The State of the Unions 2021: A Profile of Organized Labor in New York City, New York State and the United States.”