New/Continuing Veterans and Active Service Students

New students that have never used educational assistance benefits from the US Department of Veteran’s Affairs must make an appointment with our Veteran Certifying Officer.  You will need to apply for education benefits:

If you have attended other (non-CUNY) institutions and used your VA Education Benefits, your process is slightly different — you will not need to complete an application to begin using the benefits. We simply ask that you schedule an appointment with our Veteran Certifying Officer( who will help you to transition your benefits. Transfer students, generally, only need to complete a VA 22-1995 Change in Place of Training form. 

Students continuing their studies at SLU can be certified for benefits as soon as they have registered for the semester; contact the Veteran Certifying Officer( It is recommended that you complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Veteran Certifying Official
Padraig O’Donoghue
School of Labor and Urban Studies
25 West 43rd Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10036

CUNY-SLU Financial Aid
Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue Room 7201
New York, NY 10016
(877) 428-6942 | (212) 817-7460

Disabled Veteran and Active Service Students

Disabled Students are eligible for additional financial help when they apply for Vocational Rehabilitation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Disabled students must have a VA-certified disability rating of at least 20 percent. Disabled students will receive authorization directly from the VA. This authorization needs to be brought to the student’s college and the college will then notify the VA when the student is enrolled and in attendance at the college.

VA Education Benefits for Survivors and Dependents

Dependents who have not received Dependents’ Educational Assistance Benefits (Chapter 35) will need to apply using VA Form 22-5490 or provide a previously issued Certificate of Eligibility.

Department of Defense Voluntary Education Program

Service members wishing to enroll at through the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Program must consult their Educational Services Officers (ESO) or counselor within their military service prior to enrolling, more information.

Advance Payment

Tuition Deferment

Those certified for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill are eligible for tuition and fee deferral.

Those certified for benefits under other programs may request a tuition-only deferral, and fees must be paid at the time payment is due. A tuition-only deferral will be processed for veterans who are certified for veteran’s benefits by the Certifying Official. The deferral must be presented to the bursar, along with the payment of fees.

Veterans are responsible for the payment of tuition whether they have received U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs benefits or not. Students who have received a veteran’s deferment and have not cleared their debt will be prevented from registering for the following semester and will have a hold placed on their records.