For federal aid, the student must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York. Full-time undergraduate students should complete a Baccalaureate degree within six (6) years.

To remain eligible for financial aid undergraduate students must achieve a GPA (grade point average) of:

  • 1.50 if 1-12.9 credits have been attempted
  • 1.75 if 13.0-24.9 credits have been attempted
  • 2.00 if 25 or more credits have been attempted

Most federal aid programs will require a minimum enrollment of at least six (6) credits each semester. The Pell Grant does not have a minimum enrollment requirement, but eligibility will vary based a student’s enrollment status, cost of attendance, and FAFSA data

The student cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.

The most vital step in applying for federal grants and loans for college is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form.

First, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. If you or your parents are New York State residents and you are a full time student (12 credits or more) you will be prompted to apply for New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). We urge you to apply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year before the deadline of April 15.


The School of Labor and Urban Studies shares a Title IV code with the Graduate School and University Center and will appear as “CUNY GRADUATE SCH & UNIV CTR”.

Students who experience a loss in income based on the COVID-19 pandemic may qualify for additional federal student assistance. When completing the 20-21 FAFSA, a student reports income information from 2018. If you have had a loss in income and previously did not qualify for a Federal Pell Grant, you may be eligible for additional funds based on an income adjustment.  Possible circumstances may include unemployment, death of a wage-earner (parent, if dependent; spouse, if independent), divorce, loss of untaxed income (such as child support). A review of your circumstance will require income and substantiating support documentation for the circumstance. To begin this process please review and complete the Income Adjustment form.

This federal entitlement program was instituted to help undergraduate matriculated students meet the cost of their education. Federal Pell Grants are awarded to students who demonstrate an exceptional financial need on their FAFSA. The amount awarded will depend on the student’s need, cost of attendance, and enrollment status. Awards range from $326 to $3097.50 per semester. Students must apply each year. The Federal Pell Grant does not need to be repaid.

Federal SEOG is awarded to students who are enrolled at least half-time and demonstrate the greatest financial need. Awards are typically $200 per semester. For more information, visit:

NYS Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) provides grant assistance for eligible part-time students enrolled in approved undergraduate studies. To apply you must first complete the FAFSA. An APTS application must be obtained from the college the student will be attending. The student should complete the application, and return it to the college for processing as early as possible, as funds are limited. For more information about APTS, click here.

New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) provides grants to students to assist them in paying tuition. The TAP program is administered by the NY State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

Regulations of both the Higher Education Services Corporation state (TAP/APTS) and federal programs require regular class participation. Financial aid regulations also require that students make satisfactory progress toward a degree. Students should be aware that all financial assistance awards are subject to student compliance with federal, state and/or college regulations concerning satisfactory academic progress and standing. Students dropping courses should refer to the financial aid guidelines for eligibility. Students on probation who make satisfactory progress will continue to be eligible for financial aid. For more information about TAP, click here.

The University is pleased to announce that the State of New York, under the leadership of Governor Cuomo and the legislature, is taking a bold step in addressing the cost of college education and student loan debt by launching the Excelsior Scholarship. This program is the first of its kind in the country. It will enable many New York State residents to attend a CUNY college tuition-free and establish a national model broadening access to higher education.

Recipients of this award must have a family income of $125,000 or less for the 2020-2021 academic year, file the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) along with the TAP application, attend full-time, and complete 30 credits per year. Awardees must also agree to reside exclusively in New York State and not be employed in any other State for a continuous number of years equal to the duration of the award.

The Excelsior Scholarship will be applied to each qualifying student’s financial aid package after all other aid, including TAP, Pell, City Council Scholarship, college scholarships and other grants or scholarships are applied.

The Federal Direct Loan Program allows students to borrow money directly from the federal government, helping them meet the cost of a college education. Students who are matriculated in degree-granting programs and are registered for at least six (6) credits per semester are eligible to apply. Federal regulations require the deduction of an origination fee from the face value of each loan. For more information about how to apply, click here.

Students must begin repayment within six (6) months after graduation or termination of college attendance. There are a number of repayment plans available. For more information, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Repayment Calculator

This educational loan enables parents of dependent undergraduate students to borrow money in order to pay for their child’s education. The amount a parent is able to borrow is limited to their child’s cost of attendance minus any other financial aid that the student is receiving. A credit check is performed. If the parent loan is denied, it is possible for a dependent student to borrow additional unsubsidized loans in their own name. There is an origination fee that will be deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement. The interest rate is variable and is adjusted each year but will never be higher than 9 percent.

For information about applying for a Parent Plus Loan, visit: or contact

If your student status is:

  • Non-matriculated
  • International Student
  • Have reached the federal student aggregate limits

You may be eligible for alternative loans.

Once you select a lender, you must complete a Master Promissory Note with that lender and contact the Financial Aid Office at 212-817-7460 for further instructions.

The choice of a lender is ultimately your decision. Here are some things to consider as you seek possible lenders for alternative loans:

  • Interest rate of the loan
  • Repayment schedule and monthly amounts
  • Length of repayment period
  • Total amount you will repay over the life of the loan
  • Penalties for missing monthly payments
  • Options for loan consolidation

For information on private education loan programs, please visit the Private Education Loan Programs page.

  • Please know that the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies neither endorses nor recommends any lender.