Office of Student Accounts
School of Labor and Urban Studies
25 West 43 Street
New York, NY 10036
Call (646) 313-8420
Office of Student Accounts
Communication Workers of America (CWA) is one of the three founding unions of the School of Labor and Urban Studies and its predecessor, The Murphy Institute. CWA Local 1180 represents more than 8,000 administrative workers within the City of New York. Since 1984, Local 1180 has offered higher education opportunities that serve several hundred members each year.
About the Benefits
Eligible members are sponsored for 24 undergraduate credits and 24 graduate credits. Eligibility is determined by the CWA-1180 Education Fund and contingent on (1) Active employment as of the first official day of the new semester and (2) Community service projects as required or assigned.
The Education Fund pays tuition and fees for no more than two courses per each semester (spring, summer, or fall). The member is financially responsible for any costs resulting from additional classes.
Undergraduate members must earn a grade of ‘D’ or better (includes D – ). Members are financially responsible for courses in which they earn a grade of F. Non-major courses or electives are not eligible for this benefit.
Graduate members must earn a grade of ‘C’ or better (includes C – ). Members are financially responsible for courses in which they earn a grade of D or F.
Courses marked incomplete (INC) or withdrawn (W, WD, WU) do not qualify for this benefit. Members are financially responsible for courses in which they earn an INC, W, WD, WU. Members may submit an appeal for payment if the course is re-scored with a billable grade. Payments will be denied if the member has already exhausted their waiver credit limit.
- Obtain the Tuition Voucher
- Read and sign the acknowledgment on page 1
- Fill out Part A of the Tuition Voucher. Save and submit to the Registrar’s Office e-mail: Registrar@slu.cuny.edu
- The Registrar will complete Part B and e-mail the form back to you. Please note, Part B cannot be authenticated without your classes (course code, course title, # credits) clearly listed in Part A. You must also be enrolled in the courses you list in Part A. Incomplete or ineligible submissions will be returned to you for correction.
- Finally, submit the voucher packet (pg. 1 and 2) to the CWA-1180 Education Fund by e-mail: Murphystudent@cwa1180.org
If approved, the Education Fund will transmit the completed voucher to Student Account Services. The Education Fund may not honor voucher requests after the last enrollment day of the new semester https://slu.cuny.edu/current-students/academic-calendar
For more information, contact:
CWA-1180 Education Fund
6 Harrison Street | New York, NY 10013
Phone (212) 226-6565