Support for education is often a benefit of union membership. In some cases, funds are available through the union’s contractual agreement with employers. Other times support is provided from the union treasury. The delivery of education support packages include voucher programs, tuition reimbursement, and scholarships. The amount of assistance and the details of how to access these funds can change over time, so please contact your employer or union.
More About ...
Communications Workers of America (CWA) Local 1180 was one amongst three unions that founded the School of Labor and Urban Studies (SLU) and its predecessor, The Murphy Institute. Our longstanding relationship has offered higher education opportunities to several hundred CWA 1180 members each year.
- CWA 1180 members who enroll at SLU qualify for NYS tuition rates, regardless of where they live!
The CWA Local 1180 Education Fund sponsors 30 credits for eligible members seeking an undergraduate degree or certificate and an additional 24 credits for eligible members seeking a graduate degree or certificate. Tuition and registration fee payments are made for up to two (2) courses each semester in either Labor or Urban Studies.
A voucher is required for each semester Ed-Fund participants plan to defer their tuition to CWA 1180. Complete the form(s) for the semester(s) you are enrolled:
- SUMMER Tuition Voucher – Due by June 7, 2022 for 2022 SUMMER TERM
- FALL Tuition Voucher – Due by September 1, 2022 for 2022 FALL TERM
1199 SEIU League Training and Upgrading offers Tuition Assistance to eligible members in the form of a voucher The Ed-Fund pays tuition and approved fees, less any financial aid. Members must meet the Fund’s minimum grade requirement of ‘C’ or higher for each approved course.
Members typically eligible for a Tuition Voucher must be:
- An active 1199SEIU member who is currently working (not on disability)
- Employed at a contributing institution for at least one year
DC37 is New York City’s largest public-sector union, with 62 locals representing 150,000 municipal workers. It is also one of the three founding unions that collaborated in 1984 to establish what eventually became the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies. The goal of this collaboration is twofold: to expand higher educational opportunities for union members and to develop the next generations of union members.
Local 1549, DC 37 – AFSCME
- Ronnie Harris Memorial Scholarship awards $1,500 in scholarships to a select number of members and member children annually
SSEU Local 371, DC37
- The Charles Ensley Scholarship was designed to be a source of financial assistance for eligible SSEU Local 371 members who have been accepted to CUNY SLU; recipients receive up $3,500 in tuition assistance
The Tuition Benefits Program provides educational benefits to CSEA-represented New York State (NYS) employees, enabling them to achieve greater career mobility, qualify for promotional opportunities, improve job skills, and prepare for future state workforce needs through the following:
- Tuition Voucher – payment for tuition at participating schools listed in this catalog
- Tuition Reimbursement – authorized repayment of tuition to students upon completion of coursework at accredited schools
The NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) makes city government work because it is committed to equity, effectiveness, and sustainability. In collaboration with CUNY SLU, city employees from DCAS and participating unions have quality, affordable, education within reach.
PEF exists to promote the welfare of its members with respect to all terms and conditions of employment. PEF members and their dependents are eligible for numerous union-sponsored scholarships.
The United Federation of Teachers (UFT) and CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies (SLU) have a long, rich history of partnership. Our collaboration offers NYC teachers an affordable opportunity to earn college credits towards their 30+
Generous scholarships are available to support UFT members at SLU. To learn more, click here.
IATSE is more than 150,000 workers strong in virtually all arts, media, and entertainment crafts. In collaboration with the School of Labor and Urban Studies (SLU), IATSE members have access to an affordable, high quality education.
IATSE members who enroll at SLU qualify for NYS tuition rates, regardless of where they live! Tuition deferments may also be available for participating locals.
- IATSE Education Benefits
- Labor Education Assistance Program (LEAP) provides reimbursement money to officers of local unions who enroll in qualifying Labor Studies Programs. The program covers all Officers, Officials, Trustees, and Executive Board Members of all local unions, who are eligible to be reimbursed for one (1) labor studies course each calendar year