The School of Labor and Urban Studies, in addition federal and state tuition assistance, offers various financial assistance options to help students pay for afford tuition.  Among these financial aid opportunities are Veteran’s Benefits, outside scholarship opportunities, voucher programs, and alternative student loans for select degree and certificate programs.

Outside Scholarships

In some circumstances, the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies may accept scholarships, grants, or vouchers from outside or independent organizations as a form of tuition payment.

Adult Career & Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR)

ACCES-VR (formerly VESID) is the New York State agency that helps people with disabilities obtain employment. They assist each individual to define a career goal and, depending on the financial situation, may provide tuition or other support for education. For more information please contact Padraig O’Donoghue at padraig.o’ or 212-642-2068

Department of Veterans Affairs

The VA offers Educational Assistance program provides vouchers for education and training opportunities to eligible veterans. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Veterans are encouraged to contact Christopher Leydon at Padraig O’Donoghue at padraig.o’ or 212-642-2068.

Voucher Opportunities

  • New York State Educational Incentive Program: The educational Incentive Program (EIP) is a scholarship funded by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. Its purpose is to assist child care providers in paying for the professional development training and education they need to provide quality care to children.
  • New York State & CSEA Partnership for Education and Training (NYSSCEA): NYSSCEA Tuition Benefits Program provides educational benefits to CSEA-represented New York State employees, enabling them to achieve greater career mobility and promotional opportunities, improve job skills, and to prepare for future state workforce needs through three components:

Employer and Union Vouchers

Many employers and most unions have funds available to support worker education and skills upgrades. Talk with your employer or union representative. We can provide course registration documentation for you.

Student Loans

Students in certificate/non-degree programs may be eligible for alternative student loans. These loans are arranged between the student and a lender of his/her choosing and are not federally subsidized. These loans are similar to other consumer loans in that the lender will base eligibility on credit history.

If your student status is:

  • Non-matriculated
  • International Student
  • Have reached the federal student aggregate limits

You may be eligible for alternative loans.

Once you select a lender, you must complete a Master Promissory Note with that lender and contact the Financial Aid Office at 212-817-7460 for further instructions.

The choice of a lender is ultimately your decision. Here are some things to consider as you seek possible lenders for alternative loans:

  • Interest rate of the loan
  • Repayment schedule and monthly amounts
  • Length of repayment period
  • Total amount you will repay over the life of the loan
  • Penalties for missing monthly payments
  • Options for loan consolidation

For information on private education loan programs, please visit the Private Education Loan Programs page.

Please know that the CUNY School of Labor and Urban Studies neither endorses nor recommends any lender.

Payment Plan Option

You may also pay for your course(s) over a period of time by enrolling with TuitionPay. To learn more visit the Payment Methods section of our website.

Additional information about financial aid can be found at CUNY’s website or in the CUNY Paying for College: A Solutions Handbook, which can be mailed to you upon request.

If you have questions relating to financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 646-664-8720 or