Step by Step Process for a Successful Job Search
A successful job search requires you to take a series of foundational steps to support you in achieving the anticipated results in this sometimes arduous process. However, making sure you haven’t missed a step will support you in not only receiving a job offer, but also finding the right match that supports your career ambitions.
How will you know it’s the right match?
A right match will be a career where you can be yourself, use your innate talents (i.e., what your naturally good at), dive into your unique interests, reach your professional goals and look forward to getting up in the morning to go to work!
That’s real job search success!
Now, it’s your time to shine!
Identify where you are in the step-by-step process and see what next steps you can take to support you in reaching your career ambitions.
STEP 1 – KNOW WHAT YOU WANT
- Take the time to clearly identify the career path you really want to pursue
- Meet with your Career Specialist for support in this process
STEP 2 – PURSUE YOUR CAREER VISION
- Set a S.M.A.R.T Goal
- Share your career goal with friends, family, colleagues, peers, and professors
- Create a 30 to 90 days action plan
- Meet with your Career Specialist to set yourself up for success
GET THE TOOL – Use the SLU SMART Goal setting template (coming soon)
STEP 3 – DO THE RESEARCH
- Explore your career path choice and know your options
- Research the different opportunities (i.e., organizations, companies, unions etc.)
- Create a list of your top 10 companies
- Meet with your Career Specialist to discuss options in your field of study
GET THE TOOL – Use the SLU company research & networking template to keep track of your research
STEP 4 (PART I) - IDENTIFY YOUR STRENGTHS & TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
- Create/ update your professional resume
- Learn how to write a professional cover letter tailored for each position you apply to
- Meet with your Career Specialist to review your resume so you can highlight your potential
STEP 4 (Part II) - IDENTIFY YOUR STRENGTHS & TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
- Choose your top 2 to 3 skills
- Practice your interview stories
- Meet with your Career Specialist to conduct a mock interview
STEP 5 – EXPAND YOUR PROFESSIONAL NETWORK
- Conduct informational interviews
- Attend professional events
- Connect with professionals on LinkedIn
- Meet with your Career Specialist to get tips on the best networking practices
GET THE TOOL – Use the SLU networking & company research tracking sheet
STEP 6 – GET HIRED
- Get interview invitations
- Be confident and present yourself as a top candidate
- Negotiate your salary
- Say YES to a job offer you want
- Meet with your Career Specialist to discuss how to negotiate a job offer
A job search takes no more than 3 to 6 months and can be even shorter with the right tools, strategies, and support.
Asking for help is part of your journey to success!
Contact your career services to receive the support you need to reach your professional goals: email@example.com